In the Time of Mid-Terms, Back to High School


I am currently in the midst of midterms, and I am thankful that I only have two.  Half of my classes are Arabic, one in the formal Arabic and another in the colloquial Arabic, and the other half are two elective classes: one on Islam and the other that focuses on international relations and diplomacy in the Middle East.  Yet, even as I attempt to study, there are several adjustments that I have to make.

First, because I am living with a host family, I must re-learn to study in the midst of small children and others’ living spaces.  I grew up in a large family with three siblings, and I had my own desk in the quiet basement where I could do most of my work.  When it came to college, I found that I best studied in the library, where silence was mandatory, or in my room, which was quiet even if I had roommates.  Now, I am in the midst of a one year-old and a four year old who do not quite understand the necessity of silence and non-interference when it comes to academics.  Thankfully, I have my own room and that my host mother tries to keep the two younger children when I have some serious studying to do for my mid-term exams.

Usually, I try to spend at least half an hour or an hour with the family in the living room eating dinner and doing my homework each night, but this week and the next will require me to focus more on individual, silent studying.  My family is appreciative and understanding of my need to be in my room for the night, and I try to make up the family time on the weekends when I have more time between homework to interact and talk with them. 

Studying around the university has been an adjustment too.  At GW, I’m accustomed to quiet rooms and cubby spaces with thousands of outlets and people who are more interested in their work rather than the next person who enters the room.  I used to study in the university’s library more, but I realized that the lack of outlets for my laptop and the fact that I stand out as a foreigner (people like to stare at foreigners) makes it hard to study in the library.  In addition, there is no wireless internet in the library, so I use an internet device.  However, I do not use my laptop for my most of my homework, so the largest studying accommodation in Jordan is the adjustment to sound.

After I finish classes for the day, I tend to study in the CIEE study office, but the roaring sound of students in between their classes makes studying hard, and I have learned to block out the sound.  After the CIEE study office closes for the day, I tend to either finish studying either at the coffee shop at the bottom of the building that houses the CIEE office, or I return to my house for the day. 

My day is a full day that ends early most days, but it also involves going to the gym on other days.  Sometimes I don’t return to my house until 8 or 9 p.m. at night as if I was returning home after soccer practice or dance practice in high school.  The commute from the university also adds to the daunting task of knowing when to return home or not, and precious studying time can be spent waiting for a taxi between 3 and 6 p.m. 

I believe that American students have access to more quiet areas to study in the states because many of the University of Jordan students still live with their families at home, which in many cases includes large families and small, young children.  The family aspect is definitely something I appreciate, myself also having a sizable family; yet, it makes studying more of a challenge.  It’s all an adjustment, and studying is a skill.  Becoming versatile in the art of studying will only contribute to my skills repertoire I hope in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Great Resignation

“You Will Be Found” Remembering Julie – One Year Later

We Remember: The 20th Anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide and the Power of Forgiveness