Inspiration – A Writer’s New Beginning


“To weave was to write, and to write was to be understood.”  These are the key words from Holly Payne’s novel The Virgin’s Knot, which revolves around one woman’s gift to weave and inspire others; yet, she struggles with this gift, hoping it could eventually lead her away to freedom.  It is my desire that my words inspire others as well as free me through expression; something that The Virgin’s Knot Turkish protagonist, Nurdane, could not do.

I recently returned from the Middle East, specifically Amman, Jordan, and part of my heart now lies in its deserts and open, rolling hills.  Jordan was not my first destination for a study abroad experience, but I am so glad that I did travel there despite previous reservations and preferences for other countries.  Because of a university scholarship tied to my study abroad experience, I was designated to blog for my school’s study abroad website, and that is how I found my voice through words.

Writing has been a gift of mine for ages, but I’ve learned to differentiate between journaling and blogging for an audience.  This blog entry will be probably one of the few where the word “I” appears so many times.  I want my blog entries to be centered around my source of inspiration – people – not myself.  My previous rendition of Estrella was a self-centered blog about my personal feelings and opinions about life and my experiences.  Now that I am older and honing my skill, I will present views as I hope to see them through a camera – taking a perspective, but not photo-shopping the entire picture to reflect my own personal opinion.

Now, the name of the blog: Estrella.  It was the name of my last blog, and although it would seem best to start fresh and change the name, I would like to keep this name to represent that my past is still a part of me.  I only learn from my experiences and become better through them.  Also, the Spanish word, Estrella, means “star” like the stars in the sky or a colloquialism for celebrity stars.  I am not famous, and I do not aspire to be unless it only helps others.  Ergo, I would rather be like a star (estrella) in the sky that is one among many inspiring personalities and characters, shining brightly to make others on Earth to also shine brightly in their own way.  Each week, I hope a new burst of light through the power of words and literacy reaches my readers in this dawning blog.

I have recently posted all of my blog entries from my study abroad experience in Jordan, and I will post another blog entry very soon this week.  I was inspired when I went to Jordan, and I hope to bring that inspiration to my hometown, St. Louis, and to the U.S.  Let my words be the new breath of testimony to such promises…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Great Resignation

KatnissStrong

“You Will Be Found” Remembering Julie – One Year Later