My Great Resignation

I write this message after I recently resigned from the State Department. I served as a consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Doha, Qatar for the past two years. For 12 years, I have tried to attain where I am now only to realize after the fact that being a diplomat is not what I really want to do.
 
In the end, I must thank the pandemic for helping me get back to my true passion: writing. During my time when I was working from home in the summer of 2020, I had a lot of extra time for writing. I began regularly journaling, writing fiction, and even joined a virtual writing group. I finally felt in my element. I knew what I was supposed to be doing. But how did I get so off-course from my original plan of being a writer? It began at the crossroads of decisions in my senior year of high school.

 

How It Began

 

In the Spring of 2009, when I was deciding on colleges and majors, I watched how the Great Recession and the electronic revolution forced many major newspapers to close, downsize their staff, and cut their budgets for print and electronic media. Shocked, I was forced to decide between choosing a career as a journalist or something else. If I could remember, I enjoyed the art of storytelling. I would follow the news first as a child then as a teenager, learning about major world events. I even began writing for my high school’s newspaper. During one summer writing camp in 2008, I had started my own personal blog: Estrella.

 

Yet, I saw the journalism industry collapsing in front of my eyes, forcing me to forge a new path forward. I liked to write, but what else did I like? Languages, helping people, making the world a better place. Through a series of research and my experience attending a summer international affairs (IR) leadership program, I realized that I could make a career in government, particularly in the field of international affairs. I would combine my love of writing, languages, and public service in a career modeled after Condoleeza Rice’s tenure as Secretary of State. “I am going to be an ambassador!” I thought to myself at age 18.

 

The Journey to the State Department

 

However, the road to the State Department was not an easy one. Semester after semester in college, I was rejected for internships with the State Department or forced to answer tough questions like, “Am I able to intern without any remuneration in a foreign country?” Yes, I was blessed to intern for several wonderful nonprofits and government agencies, my favorite being the U.S. International Trade Representative. But the goal of reaching the State Department seemed so far away.

 

When I graduated from college in Spring 2013, I had applied for several jobs in the international affairs industry to no avail. For the first six months after graduation, I was unemployed until I accepted a job working with AmeriCorps in my hometown of St. Louis, MO. For a year, I served the previously incarcerated population by providing them job skill services in the greater St. Louis Metropolitan area. I found this very fulfilling work, but I knew that I had to get back to my field of international affairs.

 

Flash forward to Fall 2015: I was enrolled in a master’s program in international relations and economics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, DC. I was learning how to be a diplomat at one of the best schools for diplomacy in the world. This Master’s program granted me the opportunity to study with some of the world’s greatest IR practitioners. And I was able to pursue my degree both in Washington, DC, and Bologna, Italy.

 

While I was making inroads within the IR world, I still felt that there was something lacking (or I was lacking) some skill or expertise, especially when I was hard-pressed to not find a job immediately after graduation in Spring 2017. Again, I faced the same scenario – unable to find a job in my field. However, instead of six months, I did not find a job in my field for a little more than two years.

 

Nevertheless, I did not spend those days idle. I managed my father’s medical practice in the meantime, improving his office policies and processes and expanding his practice’s virtual presence with a new website and the use of social media. Also, this was the first time that I learned to be a manager. I was responsible for managing the medical assistant and overseeing practice operations.

 

After two years of managing employees at my father’s practice, I had made progress in identifying a job in my field – a consultancy job with Deloitte. As I was about to sign on the dotted line, I received a call from the State Department that my number had been called from the registrar (e.g., the list of all eligible applicants to serve in the Foreign Service) and that I had less than a week to agree to answer the call to serve or not. Excited, I did not hesitate to inform Deloitte that I could not take the position as a consultant because I was pursuing my dream of becoming a diplomat. Deloitte was understanding because they did not yet have an exact start date for my position. So, three weeks after saying yes to the State Department, I was in Washington, DC to begin training for the next four months.

 

So, It’s Begun

 

Two weeks of orientation and four months of language training, security training, and education about the Middle East. That was the culmination of my training at the State Department’s Foreign Service Institute in Arlington, VA. After I received my assignment to serve at the U.S. Embassy in Doha, Qatar, I was looking forward to my departure date in December 2019. It was all really happening – I would be working in an embassy and would be a diplomat!

 

On December 6, 2019, I landed in Doha, Qatar with a case of the flu and spent my first four days in the country recovering. On my first day in the office, I met the consular chief and the three junior officers in my section. I would be joining the Consular Section as a consular officer, responsible for adjudicating visas and processing U.S. passports and citizenship documents. That same day, I also received a tour of the Embassy, noting where each office was located. “Working for an Embassy was going to be very different than most work,” I thought to myself.

 

The Pandemic

 

For four months, I navigated the bureaucracy of the State Department and unending stream of new presidential proclamations at the Embassy until the announcement came in March 2021 that the consular section would close for services because of the coronavirus (aka COVID-19) pandemic. My colleagues and I had watched how our colleagues at U.S. Embassies in the region announced that they were closing, and within a matter of a few hours, our office closed too. The Consular Chief sent all the staff home and said to wait for instructions. A couple of local staff members stayed behind that day to cancel visa appointments, but the junior staff, including me, were sent home.

 

I arrived at my apartment not knowing what the next steps were going to be. I began asking myself, “Is this really happening? What is coronavirus? How bad is it? What’s going to happen to my family? What’s going to happen to my career if we can’t operate in the office?” I didn’t receive answers to many of these questions until months later, but I began to face the new normal. I would spend most of my days at home, checking email and taking online training, while a few core staff members and officers would come into the office weekly to handle any back-office work, answer the phones, and complete work that could only be completed in the office.

 

My birthday passed in March, and instead of the festive dinner cruise party that I had imagined, I spent my birthday alone with one friend in my apartment watching a scary movie. Life had fundamentally changed. And I was truly alone for most of my time in Doha, Qatar for the following five months until I resumed working in the office full-time in August 2021.

 

I would call my family daily and use video chat to communicate with them about my situation in Qatar. But communicating with a person 8,000 miles away was not the same as being with them. I also watched as my younger sister moved from her university campus during her senior year in college to our parents’ home when the pandemic began. In a way, I was jealous of her because she was with family during one of the darkest times in our modern human history. I was alone in Doha, having only a few friends inside and outside the Embassy.

 

There were many times that I wanted to take the State Department’s offer of “authorized departure” (a.k.a. authorized evacuation from an embassy to the U.S.), but my arms were tied. How could I take authorized departure when the rest of the officers in the Consular Section were leaving that summer after ending their tours? Someone had to stay behind. I had to remain in Qatar as the sole officer in the Consular Section – to perform services that only an officer could do – until the rest of the new Consular staff arrived.

 

Overall, I stayed outside the U.S. for 54 weeks involuntarily, separated from my family for more than a year. And although the pandemic was unprecedented, this occurrence of family separation was my turning point in my decision to not continue my career with the State Department. I knew that after that summer, I did not want to pursue a career where most of my time is spent away from family.

 

My Inspiration in the Pandemic

 

My inspiration during these dark days was the time that I spent writing and walking. Writing connected me back to my first love of storytelling and wanting to be a journalist many years ago. Walking improved my mental health and kept me fit when I would otherwise spend most of my time sitting on a couch. And if I was going to return to work, I wanted a workplace that encouraged writing and mental health wellness. However, my return to work with a new set of officers was everything but that, causing me to rethink a career at the State Department.

 

Contributing Factors to My Decision to Leave State

 

When the new consular officers arrived at post, I encountered several conflicts between the new officers and myself on post policies and procedures. While I had enjoyed harmony with my first set of supervisors, I realized that I was seeing a different side of the State Department – a very bureaucratic, robotic side – that did not encourage creativity or open discussion. For the first time, I was seeing the State Department as it is – an institution built on hierarchy not a meritocracy, assimilation rather than innovation. And that’s when I had culture shock – I saw myself outside the culture of the State Department and knew that my creativity and willingness to bring new ideas forth was not welcome.

 

In addition, my work hours became longer with the new set of officers. Often, there were no boundaries between work and after-work hours. I began to work on weekends at least once a month. There was one incident where I slept overnight in the office to process a diplomat’s visa to the U.S. This was not good for my personal life or my mental wellness.

 

So, my great resignation was becoming formalized at this stage. By December 2020, I began contacting companies in the private sector, particularly public relations firms where I thought I could contribute my writing skills. The next decision was: do I leave State early or do I finish my contract in December 2021?

 

2021: The Year of New Beginnings

 

In December 2020, I left Doha for my four weeks of ‘rest and recuperation’, returning to the U.S. to see my family in the States. I was finally reunited with my loved ones and those that knew me the best. Also, after being outside the office, I finally realized how unhealthy the environment that I was working in really was. I knew that there had to be some changes.

 

In January 2021, I returned to Doha and requested mediation services between my direct supervisor and myself to resolve our issues. Fortunately, the mediation produced positive results, allowing us to continue working together and communicating openly. Conflicts continued to arise, but they were addressed at the right time. And I continued my career search through it all.

 

By Spring 2021, I made the decision to fly to the U.S. for two weeks to see a family member who had a recent negative health diagnosis. I used this break to also network with future employers, particularly one in my hometown of St. Louis. They were impressed by my diplomatic background and saw that I had many transferrable skills from my current position. I was pleased to hear this and gave them a tentative timeline of starting in Fall or Winter 2021. They said that they would reconnect after Labor Day. Little did I know that there would be another large conflict that would jeopardize my reputation at the State Department as well as my ability to finish my tour in December 2021.

 

Living through the Afghanistan Evacuation  

 

Summer in Qatar is usually the best time to travel outside of the country because the weather is extremely hot. Because I took a large vacation during Winter 2020, my colleagues had priority taking time off during Summer 2021. I was still able to take a few vacations during local or U.S. holidays, so staying in Doha during most of Summer 2021 was not so bad, despite the hot weather. When there were only two officers in the office during summer, there were usually fewer passport and visa appointments, which would make the workload more manageable.

 

On August 14, 2021, I received a message from my direct supervisor that American citizens, U.S. legal permanent residents, and U.S. immigrant visa holders could start arriving in Doha from Afghanistan that very night. I wasn’t sure what to make of the message; our office all witnessed how the Taliban had taken over the country in a matter of days, causing many Afghans to flee or hide. But was it possible for Afghans and those fleeing Afghanistan to arrive in Doha with only hours’ notice?

 

When August 15th came, many Afghans, which also included U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, and U.S. visa holders, started arriving at the U.S. bases in Qatar, and the need was immediate. My supervisor and one officer went to the U.S. base with a few local staff that week to assist the evacuation efforts. That same week, there were two officers on vacation, so I was responsible for managing the Consular Section and providing services to the public.

 

Fortunately, I had previously managed the Consular Section during a two-week gap between consular chiefs in Summer 2020. However, I did not anticipate the American citizen crises that would occur during those two weeks when I was responsible for managing the section. One American citizen was jailed; another was going to be deported, and two American citizen children had come to the Embassy to ask for help in a domestic violence situation. I did not have the experience and information to deal with these complicated issues, and my managers were inaccessible – one was on leave, the other was assisting in the Afghan evacuation effort. These crises occurred during the regular operations of the Consular section as well, sometimes with me adjudicating all three services in one day: non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas in the morning and American citizen services in the afternoon. If not for the expertise of and assistance from the local staff, I would not have been able to manage the stress of this time.

 

When I had asked my direct supervisor for more support, she responded that she had no bandwidth to spare, to figure out the situation, and to continue managing operations until the evacuation would end. When I asked her if she could recall the deputy manager to post to help manage these crises, she said that she would not interrupt the deputy’s vacation. That left me with limited resources and without support during these crises. I had the Foreign Affairs Manual as my guide, but it didn’t contain any specific information on how to handle this unique crisis that I was now facing.

 

I reached out to my mentors to explain my situation during the evacuation. They said that while this was an unprecedented experience for me (aka managing a section during a crisis), this was not unprecedented in the State Department. They said that it was more common than not that a junior officer may encounter crises that s/he was not trained for. And they also reiterated that all resources were going to the Afghan humanitarian evacuation and that there wasn’t much support to spare to the consular section in Doha.

 

I was prepared to assist in the evacuation efforts, but I was inadvertently charged with maintaining operations in the consular section. And then I thought to myself, “Do I really want to continue in a career where I will be encountering more crises that I am not trained for or in which I am lacking support?” My answer was no.

 

So, while I managed the section those two weeks, I found myself at a crossroads where I felt unsupported during crises. With the best intentions, I attempted to leverage the support of the Direct Chief of Mission (second to the Ambassador) to authorize me to recall the deputy supervisory back to post during the evacuation and consular crises. While this effort failed and put me in direct conflict with my supervisor, I felt that I acted in the best interest of my team and myself. And I also realized that sometimes the hierarchal nature of an organization can be the organization’s own obstacle and undoing.

 

This new conflict did produce positive results. It did produce more communication between the supervisor and the Consular staff. It also produced a lot of clarity on issues affecting the evacuation efforts and the consular work being done in the office. And it did bring the much-needed support back to the office – another officer – to lighten the workload of myself and the other junior officer until the deputy returned from her vacation.

 

But why did it take miscommunication and conflict to ignite such change? It proved to be more stressful and harmful to both parties rather than peaceful and productive. This very experience was a resounding bell on my decision to disassociate myself from the culture of the State Department.

 

Where Do We Go Now?

 

Since the immediate evacuation in August, the Afghanistan evacuation has become more organized and has trickled to only a few hundred Afghans arriving in Doha instead of the tens of thousands that have come before. Yet, the memory of that time is still very fresh for many Embassy employees, including me. I was only able to volunteer for one shift during the evacuation. However, the Consular section was the only section that continued to function without a decrease in services during the immediate evacuation. The expectation to deliver services and assist with the evacuation added stress to the Consular staff, including me.

 

Beneficially, the State Department did address the aftermath of the evacuation on individuals through increased mental health and counseling services provided.


By mid-September, the Consular Section saw the return of all officers, which assisted in resuming normal capacity to offer services and for management of the overarching issues facing the section. A separate team was formed from the U.S. Embassy in Kabul employees and other State Department personnel to address the evacuation efforts going forward.

 

At the Close

 

In the last fourth months of my time with the State Department, I tried to end my two years of service with grace. I completed my work without complaining and tried to enjoy my last four months in Doha. When my replacement came to Doha, she gave me the courage to address some of the inequality in workload between officers. For a long time, I carried the brunt of the workload in all three services, especially during employment gaps in the section. This was a positive adjustment to work in the section.
 
Even though I have decided to not continue with the State Department, I wouldn’t have traded my experience serving my country and traveling the world for the last two years. My experience with the State Department was one of a kind. I learned so much about public service and myself. And I made long-lasting friendships with people from all over the world. Yet, I can’t wait for my next adventure in the U.S. in the private sector in a field where I can contribute my writing skills.
 

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article do not necessarily represent the views of the State Department or the U.S. government. They are the author’s individual opinions and experiences and do not represent any U.S. government agency. 

Comments

I enjoyed reading your blog. Your life adventures, from high school to the present , says that you are authentic and vulnerable. Life was teaching you, and you listened and learned. Keep being a life long learner.

Popular posts from this blog

“You Will Be Found” Remembering Julie – One Year Later

We Remember: The 20th Anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide and the Power of Forgiveness